Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Peanut Butter and Banana Muffins


Mmmmmmm....so I made these today. They are out of Jessica Seinfeld's cookbook, "Deceptively Delicious." I have been trying to find something that my kids would eat that has a bit more "substance" to it than just the Nutrigrain bar and milk in the morning. So I am trying this one out. This recipe uses whole wheat flour as well as banana puree and natural peanut butter. It also calls for either carrot or cauliflower puree, both of which I did not have. So instead I added yellow squash puree. And of my own accord I also added a few chocolate chips and two heaping tablespoons of milled flax seed. Both E&M asked me if I was making cookies since it smelled soooo good in here (I think it's the peanut butter they smell...it does smell really good in here!) So we'll see what they think! Want one?

UPDATE:
Ok, so we each had to taste one tonight for "dessert" and let me tell you, it was DIVINE! I swear (to me) it tasted like a fat, chewy cookie! The chocolate chips definitely made it! Miss E LOVED them and wants another but has to wait till morning. And my very picky boy, well, he liked it at first, but then as he continued to chew it, he "couldn't stand it". (*sigh*). So he spit it out into the trash can. Good grief! He says tomorrow he'll have a South Beach Peanut Butter Meal Bar....the only kid I know who prefers a protein bar to a muffin!
I, in the other hand, definitely recommend them! ;)

2 comments:

Kim said...

Mmmmmmm.........sounds delish !!! I will have to try that recipe :) Had the same experience with my choc chip banana muffins that I added fruit & flax to........Alex loved them, Nicky didn't.........*sigh*.

Weeshe410 said...

Email me the recipe when you get a chance...I'd love to try them! Caleb is so picky so finding good options for breakfast has been hard for us, too. PopTarts just weren't cutting it! Rick is always making protein shakes and Caleb really loves them. He started making pancakes with the chocolate powder and he loves those, too! They are pretty tasty. But we don't always have time for pancakes so we make him shakes (half the serving of Daddy, of course...we don't need a little muscle man!) and he loves the chocolate mint and caramel crunch Zone bars. I like the SB peanut butter bars, too!