
So when E&M came home from their first day of school last week, there was a present waiting for each on the counter. Each night they have homework. Their homework from school is to read one book and then go and write the title of the book in their daily planner which goes to school each day. So they were so excited to each receive 3 new early reader books!
[It still amazes me how reading seems to have come to them so naturally and without difficulty. Emily can read almost every first grade sight word...she had trouble with about 3-4 out of 40 words. Matthew can read almost all of the kindergarten sight words and they have only had three days of kindergarten!]
In addition to the 3 books each, they received one set of 4 "chapter books". A chapter book is a child's book that consists of lot of very short chapters. There are pictures on only a few pages in the book. They have to listen to the words and imagine what is going on. We have already finished the first book in the Magic Tree House series by Mary Pope Osborne. They LOVED the first book. As I would read, they listened so intently. Then after awhile it seemed that maybe one wasn't listening, but when asked what I had just said, they knew exactly what was going on. At times they would giggle outloud. I would get to the end of a chapter and say, "Ok, We'll read more tomorrow" and they would say "NO! More!" and I would read at least one more chapter. Eventually once their reading progresses, they will be able to read these to me. So far they are lovin' it!

1 comment:
Can you believe it? I don't remember reading in Kindergarten...back then Sesame Street was "preschool" so you knew the ABC's and that was about it! Caleb even started cursive in Kindergarten! It is all very amazing.
Post a Comment