Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Allergic Reaction

So I went in this morning to wake up E for school and as I turned on the light and looked at her sleepy face, I noticed immediately that something was not right. Her entire face was swollen. Her eyes were practically swollen shut and one side is more puffy than the other with the left side of her face and lips being huge. She definitely could feel something was not right and got very upset. I quickly got some Benadryl in her and an hour later while in the pediatrician's office I could see it had lessened some. She has broken blood vessels under her eyes from the swelling. Even her eyelids look a bit purple too. The pediatrician came in and was shocked to see her like this. She listened to her lungs which were actually sounding good (no wheezing) and looked in her throat which she said was very red even though E said her throat wasn't sore. Dr. Anne took a throat culture which came back negative for strep thankfully and did a urine analysis which came back OK. Her blood pressure was normal. She is also doing all kinds of blood work to test for possible allergens one of which may possibly be eggs in the flu shot she had last Thursday (even though she has eggs all the time). She also is having us stop the "puffer" she used for an inhaled steroid that we just started last week for her asthma. She began wheezing on two occasions AFTER taking it....not sure if it is related or not. Poor thing...I'm not sure if she's more upset about being puffy or not being able to go to school today. She loves her teacher and misses her friends. We are waiting now for two results from the lab to come back today and will hopefully have the rest by tomorrow or the day after. We now have an EPI pen which I shudder to think about having to use. If these tests come back negative or nothing is glaring at us, we will be headed to the Allergist for lots more testing and that I AM DREADING! I'll keep ya posted...........

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ohhh poor Emily!! I agree, the worst is just not knowing whats causing it. Once you get that figured out, and you can do something about it you will feel better. Is she still puffy or did it go away???

emsm said...

Still puffy, but much less puffy. We'll see what the lab results show, if anything, tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

oh i am so sorry to hear that poor em has to go through this! she must have been so scared this morning (and you too!) please keep me posted! and we will include her in our prayers tonight! ;)

Kim said...

Poor little Em !!! :( That is nooo fun !! Please tell her we are thinking about her and saying our prayers for her :) I know the allergy tests aren't fun but hopefully they will shine some light on what is causing all this. Keep us posted !! :)

Anonymous said...

oh no! i hope she feels better!!!