We saw the Allergist today to see what his thoughts were on what has been going on with E. I went through the craziness from the past week and a half with him and he has diagnosed her with "serum sickness." He believes her body had a reaction to the flu shot she had 5 days earlier and in turn caused her swelling, hives, and red spots. He still agrees too that she had a virus as well. And he said we should see these symptoms subsiding within a couple days.
As far as the lab tests that were run, in summary, those result show a "potential" for an allergic response. He said you look and see how the person reacts when eating those foods that they show antibodies for on the testing. If she is ok with them, then she is fine to eat them. I told him she eats a peanut butter and honey sandwich on wheat everyday and he rolled his eyes to mean, "you're fine then. Eat your peanut butter and wheat." He's very comical. He said typically they will look at kids who are younger and have never eaten a specific food before and if they see antibodies present on the test, then they would be much more concerned about having the child eat that item. So basically he said to go home and eat! :)
So in going forward, we take Zyrtec, Singulair, and Albuterol as needed through the nebulizer and go back to see him in three weeks! He said the trees and grasses/weeds are probably what are causing alot of her asthma problems too.
I am feeling much better about everything now! I feel I have a lot more answers and know now that we won't be giving Miss E the flu shot in the future! We'll take our chances!
Running with his ABC's
15 years ago

4 comments:
THANK GOD!!! I am so glad it was such a simple diagnosis. Why do you think her pediatrician didn't pick up on it...did they give her the flu shot? hmmm. Well, I am glad that she is well on her way to getting better. I don't get flu shots either...last time I did, I got it twice that season.
I am glad that it isn't anything serious!!!! Give E big hugs from me!!!
That is GREAT news!!!!!! I am so happy it is not the food ... life was looking to get VERY difficult in your household! We'll keep saying our prayers that she recovers completely and stops getting all the little aches and pains, but for now I'm glad she is in the clear. Hugs and kisses to Emily!
Yea! I'm very happy it was not your worst fear. I can't wait to see you all on Saturdaya nd give you and E a big hug! :)
Post a Comment