So Miss E has been painstakingly saving up her "spend" money so that she could buy a baby doll she wants. She wants the "Baby Alive" doll that she has seen on TV. A few weeks ago I went online to find out just how much this doll costs. At both Target and Walmart I found it costs $25. A lot of money for a baby doll, but it's what she wants no thanks to constant advertising on the TV! BUT....she really really wants it! So she's been saving her allowance and has been begging for extra jobs around the house, though many times the "employment office" is closed, and no jobs are available. Well this past Sunday she finally earned the last of the $25 by dusting my entire room and folding a million washcloths. I told her we could go after school on Tuesday to buy it. The first thing she said this morning when she woke up was how we were going to go buy this Baby Alive today. So off we go to Target this afternoon and hit the baby aisle. I find the doll for $25 only for Emily to tell me this isn't the one she had wanted! She wanted the one that goes potty and there sitting next to this one is the Baby Alive Wets and Wiggles for $30! Oh boy! I had no clue they were all different and they didn't all go potty! BIG tears on the toy aisle because she didn't have enough money. No credit here remember. I told her she could buy the one for $25 but she decided to hold off and try for $5 more. She is not a happy camper and her mommy is feeling very guilty, but we are doing this to teach a lesson. It takes a long time and a lot of hard work to earn the money to buy something and may cost more at the store when you get there. Let's just hope on this election day that people are voting for change for the good and that we will be able to keep the money we have worked so hard for in our own pockets instead of having to give it to those who don't.
Running with his ABC's
15 years ago

20 comments:
Poor E! At least she is learning a valuable lesson!!
OH NO! I have some dusting she can do....
Good for you for sticking to your guns! A mothers guilt is a powerful thing, but giving in to a child teaches them the wrong lesson. :))
Yah, I just looked at this again...the coupon at Target is for the one with the little potty and all that gross stuff. Bummer. Well, if you get a chance to get one of the books, there are a lot of good coupons for other toys.
Are you serious? YOU messed up big time! This was the perfect opportunity to teach E that we all make mistakes. You should show some humility and apologize! Why is she being penalized because YOU were wrong about the price? She more than earned that doll. I cannot believe that after how sick that child has been you didn't admit YOUR error and give her the measly $5! Give me your address and I'll send her TWO dolls! You should feel guilty!
I couldn't disagree more with the last poster -- I LOVE the way you handled this. Little E will work hard to obtain her doll, and will learn valuable lessons in the process.
The first anonymous poster has to be kidding......Miss E is learning a huge lesson on what it costs to get what she truly wants. We all go through disappoints in life and this is preparing her for the big things she will be faced with in life. You are a great Mother in teaching these lessons and Miss E will grow up with a great value system. Too many children these days are given everything and are spoiled beyond belief. Great lessons are being taught in your house.
Me thinkith your blog has become a play place for some kiddos... :)
WOW! A lot of comments on this one. E is definitely learning a lesson here....with hard work, courage and determination she will get that doll. Money doesn't grow on trees. She had $25 in hand at the store and that wasn't going to get the one she wanted. She made the choice to wait and earn what she wanted most instead of settling for the one she could afford at the time. She is learning patience and the value of money. If you don't have the cash at the time, you can't buy it. And in her world it isn't a "measly" $5...that is a lot of cash to her. I had already told her I was wrong in the price of the doll and she had no problem there. She has even refused "jobs" that could have already earned her the $5 today, but that was her choice. She's a smart girl and knows what she wants and will earn that doll in no time!
Okay, let me get this straight...if you don't have enough, just let someone else make up the difference? Hmmm...I can guess who Anonymous #1 voted for.
First off, you didn't make a mistake on the price, you mistook which doll she actually wanted (Which when dealing with a 5 year old is quite easy to do) which resulted in a difference in price. Like you said, even Miss E didn't blame you for that. You should not feel guilty. You did the right thing. E made her choice and I think it is great that she is sticking to what she wants and not settling like you said. The reality is that by the time she earns enough, she may not even have an interest in that particular doll and decide she wants something totally different. This person obviously does not know you or the parents you guys are. I applaud you for teaching them the right way and for sticking to your guns.
Dear EMSM:
The $5 should be "measly" to YOU! Of course it is a lot of money to a 5 year old! I find this whole issue amazing since this is regarding a 5 year old child!A child who has been very sick according to your detailed blogs!I'm not surprised that she didn't feel like accepting a job today since she is still sick!! You can justify it all you want - she must be an extremely mature 5 year old!
Since someone felt the need to make this political,yes,I proudly voted for our future President! I realize that since my family earns well over $250,000 a year, my taxes will go up! Maybe now some elderly people I know who have to decide between meds or food on a monthly basis can enjoy their fixed income golden years since they will no longer pay taxes.(Yes, I do already give them money to help them out!) Knowing that my taxes will go up did not keep me from voting for Obama. He has great ideas to bring this country back and we must all work together. In fact, most Americans will see their tax bills go down. The rich will be paying more!
I am a white, college educated, well traveled, wife and mother. My children receive straight A's and are in the gifted child program at their schools. I endulge them not only because I can, but because they are well mannered, caring, kind, honest and conscientious. They are not spoiled and they know the value of a dollar.
They are our future and I feel great about the legacy I will leave behind. Besides, they will be picking my nursing home some day and I sure don't want some $5 doll issue to come back to haunt me! :)
Signed: Anonymous # 1 :)
This is a free country. You can raise your child as you see fit, as well as can I. We'll leave it at that and move on. And by the way, yes, she is an extremely mature 5 year old, as well as is her brother.
I think this is a record for your blog....the most comments ever. So I felt compelled to just write something in its honor :)
So let me get this straight...Anonymous #1 makes enough money and has enough time on her hands to scan the internet and be a mom nazi for people's family blogs....noted. Sheila, you are an excellent mom...context...we're talking about someone that thinks its ok to vote for a man that thinks its ok for aborted babies to die in laundry hampers. How many dolls you gonna buy for all those little girls and boys lady? Mind your business and stick to blogs of your own friends.
Oh my! I'll put my two cents in and say you are doing the correct thing by Miss E. There are times of the year that gifts should be showered upon our children. (The hoildays and birthdays.) Being your friend I know your children do very well at those times of the year.) Other times of the year, they must be earned.
I don’t care how much or little money you have giving your children everything they want will only teach them to not appreciate the gifts they are given on special occasions. I grew up in a very wealthy area of Florida and saw spoiled little rich kids up close and I know that I never want my child to act and treat people the way they did in school.
As far as giving Miss E what she needs while she has been under the weather; I know for a fact that she would love your attention and love more than a doll baby.
You are one of the best mothers I know and will continue to take and use your advice while mothering my child.
My question is, where does it end? If E brings home a report card with a B, are you going to go make the teacher give her the extra 5 points to make the A because she worked really hard and has been sick for a few weeks? If she got a B it is because she earned it and failed to reach the goal of an A. If we cave in to our children (even if it may seem 'measly' to us) we have taught them the wrong message. They will constantly expect to be given (or let slide) a little more each time after. I agree with 'a life uncommon' you guys are very generous to your kids when it is warranted. You have given them life, a good home and great opportunities. But I also know that in order to do those things, you guys have made huge sacrifices. E & M will learn that great things come with hard work, patience and sacrifice.
Anonymous #1, you have the right to your opinion. If all you say is true, then congratulations on raising such a tremendous family. However, it is obvious that you do not know these people based on how you presented your first post. For you to just come on here and slam them for raising their children in the best manner they see fit is really not appreciated. I have no doubt that EMSM would gladly welcome constructive criticism coming from family or friends (and probably even you) if presented in a respectable manner. The rest of us are on here because we love and respect this family. So if you cannot use a little more tact when posting maybe your judgments and lack of respect for people would be better served stalking someone else's blog.
Hello from E's favorite Auntie...I just have to say darn those commercials...that's truly where all of this started :)
I too must comment on this issue. I share the same views of making sure children earn for their wants. Other wise, they become spoiled incentive adults that don't have a clue about the real world. When parents give in to their children because they are close enough, they are teaching them to never go the distance. That is what is wrong with our children today. The next generation coming up is disrespectful and self absorbed. Keep up your parenting skills. You are doing what you were taught and what is right.
OK, I HAVE to comment on this. Let me organize my points to Anonymous #1 clearly ....
1) You picked the wrong week ...
2)IF you are SOOOO proud of our next president, YOUR parenting skills, and YOURSELF, then why not identify your "cowardly" self.
3)Let me give you a scenario as to what you may be able to look forward to ... there is someone in my immediate family that made straight A's, was in the gifted program, score 1500/1600 on the SAT's, and had pick of a college. This person was also given EVERYTHING they wanted, whenever requsted, and did absolutely nothing for themself growing up but was lavished with every toy or item you can imagine. Had no job in high school but got a car at 15-1/2! Want to know where they're at now ... 30 in May, still living at home, paying no rent, on 3rd job in 4 years, has racked up over 10K in credit card bills on dad's credit card, which was then paid off by dad! Car, gas, food, cell phone, cable, everything paid for still! Has stolen money from a job, has had several run-ins with the law, continues to rack up credit card bills, etc., etc. Take, take, take ... Obama supporter. Brains aren't everything and GIVING a child every imaginable gift you can, won't teach them about real life.
Time, love, and real life lessons is what prepares our children to be successful. Maybe you need to stop wasting time hounding someone you don't even know and concentrate on giving your children the time and attention they want, instead of trying to replace that with materialistic things!
By the way, I'll give you my address and you can send me whatever you want (we're still a few dollars short on some LEGO sets and in need of a new car), since you're so eager to spread your wealth!!
EMSM ... you are an AMAZING mom ... I admire you and all that you do with them and for them! I wish I could be half the mom that you are! Keep it up!
Lions, tigers, and bears!
Oh My!!
:)
Post a Comment