Eeeewwwwww! Yuck!! OK so last night we were sitting on our porch sipping a beer and relaxing after a hard days work of mucking around in the yard. I had just finished cleaning up and had filled the bird feeder which is "squirrel-proof." If a squirrel climbs onto it, the weight of the squirrel forces the cage around the feeder to close, therefore all the holes are shut and no seed is available. Birds have no problem since they are so light. Well as I was sitting on the porch, I heard something in the palm tree, and looked up only to see something scurry around the back. And I caught a glimpse of a long, skinny tail. No, this is not a cute fuzzy tailed squirrel like we usually see but, it is true, it's a rat!!!!!!!!! UGH!!!!!!!!!!!! The rat ran along the back of the fence. M and I raced outside to see it, but it ran behind the bushes. We went back inside, and do you think it stayed away? Oh no, it came out of the bushes on the fence and climbed onto the bird feeder! Now I couldn't tell since I was inside the house but am hoping that it's weight closed the feeder too. From atop the fence a mad squirrel was squawking at it because it wanted the seed. Do you know that the dang rat chased the squirrel away! I am so grossed out by this rodent! I know squirrels are rodents too but to me they aren't so vile. We think we have found where it may be living.....up in the palm tree where there is some dead wood. So guess what we are doing today? Getting the ladder out once again and going up the palm to de-rodent the dang thing! I just hope the rat decides to hire movers and live in another village of rodents far far from here!!!!! And perhaps the rabbit might travel with him?
UPDATE:
UGH! When will this end? At 10:00 this morning I spotted a snake slithering around under the bird feeder. So last night when I said we needed a snake to visit to eat the rat, I really didn't mean it LITERALLY! Oh how I hate snakes!!! I swear we have a zoo in the backyard!!
Running with his ABC's
15 years ago

2 comments:
WARNING - DON'T READ THIS JUST BEFORE YOU GO TO BED!!!
One of our neighbors down the street had rats, not sure which kind but they showed up not too long after she put out bird feeders. Our next door neighbors had "fruit" rats so if you have citrus trees it will also attract them. I would suggest, as much of a bummer as it is, remove the bird seed and any citrus trees...at least make sure they are as far from the house as possible. Both our neighbors ended up with rats in the house!! EEEWWWWEEEE!!! I would have to MOVE! Have Mark or a pest control specialist inspect all your roof eaves for even the tiniest cracks...you don't want them getting inside. Also, don't leave your trash cans outside except on trash night. Store them in the garage (if you don't already) away from the garage door so they can't smell anything.
It is very possible that they have been there a while and with all the stuff you cleaned up and removed this weekend it just stirred them up...but you don't want them taking up residence elsewhere. Our neighbors with the fruit rats didn't have any problems until the lot across the street was cleared and it just chased them out.
I don't like snakes either but they do eat those nasty rodents. As long as it isn't a poisonous one and not too close to the house, I'm okay with them around. I don't want them near ME, however!!
Good Luck , Friend! :)
We now have the same problem at our new house. We've seen the two brown bunnies for the past month or so, and they are so cute. Once I plant my garden they will have to go. Two weekends ago I saw a rat and a black snake.
I've heard that if you put a cheap radio tuned to a rock sation down the rabbit hole it will scare the rabbits away. I guess they do not like loud music. If anyone gives you advice on the rats let me know.
Post a Comment